June 11, 2012

MFT Creative Challenge for June ~ Frame It

Hi there!  With a new month comes a new Creative Challenge from My Favorite Things!  We were asked this month to "Frame It".  I was all over this challenge and couldn't wait to get started! 

Head on over to the MFT Blog for a link to each designer participating in June's Creative Challenge.

I made some framed art for each of my girls to hang above their beds.  I've had these acrylic shadow box frames by Darcie's for about two years.  These particular frames are the Brooklyn Large Frame.  They were just begging to be altered!  I really wish I had taken some pics of how they looked before I prettied them up.  They are a chipboard/cardboard type material that were a dark Kraft color.  I painted them, distressed them and then decorated with some awesome Die-namics dies.

This post is picture heavy so sit back, relax and read on!

The first frame was made for my youngest, Sarah.  I started by painting the entire frame white.  After it dried (which really took no time at all)  I painted the base of the frame with red paint.  I then placed strips of tape on the outside of the frame so that I could paint red stripes over the white.  When it was all dry, I removed the tape and distressed the entire frame, base and all with a four sided sanding block.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the distressed look!  All of the papers I used are from the Simple Stories Summer Fresh 6x6 pad.

The banner was made with the new Die-namics Traditional Tags STAX.  Each tag was finised with an eyelet and some twine. I used the Die-namics By the Letters and By the Letters Upper for her name.  


Here I've used the Die-namics Heart's a Plenty on a piece of corrugated cardboard.  I distressed it with some white craft ink and finished it with a gingham flower made using the Die-namics Flower Trio.


The Die-namicsVintage Flourish was cut from patterned paper and was finished with another corrugated cardboard heart cut using the heart from the Die-namics Homespun Birdhouse die.  A smaller gingham flower was cut using the Die-namics Flower Trio.



Here's a close up of the distressing and the tag.  Oh, I forgot to add that the scallops on the bottom of each tag was made with the Die-namics Mini Scallop Edge die.  I LOVE how this turned out!




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My second frame was made for my oldest, Lauren.  It was painted in the same way the first frame was painted, only with white and yellow paint.

Lauren wanted a quote in her shadow box frame and she chose this quote from Pearls of Wisdom.  It was cut out with the Die-namics Oval STAX set 1 and Oval STAX set 2.  The gingham paper was cut using the Die-namics Fishtail Flags STAX.  The tags were cut using the Die-namics Traditional Tags STAX.  The letters were cut from My Favorite Felt in Cloud White using the Die-namics By the Letters and By the Letters Upper.


The flower on the outside of the frame was made using the following Die-namics:  Mini Royal Roses, Flower Trio, Botanical Beauty and Royal Leaves.  LOVE how you can stack all the different flowers!  The corrugated heart was a leftover from the first frame.  It was cut using the heart from the Die-namics Homespun Birdhouse die set.


Here's a close up of the flower:



And a close up of the quote:





Here are all the Die-namics I used:
















Whew....are you still with me?  So are you inspired to Frame It?  I hope so!

Thank you so much for stopping by!  I hope you have a great day!

18 comments:

My Creative Therapy said...

OMG these are awesome!! So unique and beautifully done! Love them both. :)

Kathi

Inge Groot said...

Absolutely gorgeous Jackie, I love the distressed look and I am sure your girls are delighted with those awesome frames!

Jill Norwood said...

Jackie these are just gorgeous! I love the stripes you made on the frames and all the lovely details for each of your girls! So beautiful!

Luanne said...

Wow Jackie! These are amazing! Extra special projects!!

Lisa H. said...

oh, Jackie. THese turned out beauitfully! love how they are each different and sooo pretty.

wendy said...

whow these turned out so nice...very original and pretty...I am sure your girls will treasure them and love having them hang in their rooms

Kristy Hansen said...

These are darling. Love the distressed look of each. I really like how you did the layers of the tags for their names. I'm sure it will be fun to hang them up in their rooms. ksh

Jodi Collins said...

OOOOH! These are SO beautiful Jacks!! LOVE the distressing and colors on these!! Just GORGEOUS!

Barbara said...

These are both so stinkin' CUTE, Jackie! Love the different looks but same basic design! Awesome projects!

Kim said...

Those are gorgeous Jacks!

Tara Godfrey said...

Jackie, WOW! These frames are gorgeous! The painting you've done with the masking and everything is fabulous and I LOVE the distressing. I really love how you added the mini scallop edge to the tag banner...fabulous idea!!! Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Hugs,t

Karen Giron said...

Oh my goodness, what a super fun idea! I love these!

Katie Skiff said...

Those are beautiful!!

Sherrie said...

Those are the coolest of frames that you have had kicking around, love how you altered them Jackie!

Unknown said...

Wow! These are both darling, Jackie! Love the distressing and all the cool dies!

Alina said...

they are both so beautiful, Jackie! my daughter would love something like this in her bedroom!
hugs, Alina

Dawn Easton said...

Jackie, these are awesome!!! Love both of them! I'm sure my daughter would LOVE one....maybe we can make one together as a mom and daughter project. Thanks for the inspiration!

Carol W. said...

Both signs are beautiful and I'm sure both girls loved them! thanks for the inspiration. Fabulous job!